Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Will there EVER be a "routine"?

When Lilly was first diagnosed, we were told that she had the "good kind" of Leukemia to have, and that we would be out-patient and we would get into a routine and come once a week - just like going to the doctors office once a week. Easy peasy lemon squeezy... YEAH RIGHT! We have yet to find that routine. We went into clinic today hoping for a very normal and uneventful visit. We were planning on getting her chemo, going to the RTU for a spinal tap, and then heading home with no issues. Why can't we find a routine? It sounds easy enough, right? Lilly's oncologists were still talking about her situation with how she bled so much over the weekend. So many of the doctors and nurses said they had never seen somebody bleed like that! They decided to be cautious (which I'm grateful) and do a blood clotting panel to check and see if Lilly was lacking anything that wouldn't allow her blood to clot properly. Because she was scheduled for a spinal tap, they wanted to make sure to prevent any issues from happening if there was something wrong. Again, I'm grateful they are taking the necessary precautions for Lilly. They filled 15 vials of blood. Holy cow that's a lot! Lilly was a trooper. They had to take blood from her arm and not her port because they didn't want any of the medications she receives into her port to interfere with the test. And then we got to wait for a while... Her tests all came back good. There was still one test pending when we left, but they foresee that to be good as well. She did get one of her chemos today, which was nice. One less thing to do tomorrow. So, now we get to go back to the hospital tomorrow morning for her spinal tap and then we heard that we get to start two shots in the leg tomorrow and two more on Friday because of her previous allergic reaction to the PEG-asparaginase. We haven't told her about the shots yet. She hates shots more than just about anything. Please continue to pray for our Lilly. I feel so bad for her. Cancer has taken over our lives and I hate it. 


9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! I was just telling Greg how you guys never seen to get a break! I hope you find your routine soon. We are still praying for Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm keeping Lilly's name in the temple. I can truly sympathize with you. Two of our daughters have had cancer and so have I. I learned when Mary Jo was really young and so terribly sick, it really is easier to have cancer myself than to have my child go through it. You'll gain valuable insights about God and your faith through this experience, but nothing makes it easier to have your child suffer through this nasty disease. Lilly is a strong young person and this experience will prepare her for a special mission I'm sure, but it makes everyone who cares about her wish we could do something to help her through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard on you guys, never knowing day to day. I'm sure the lessons you and all of us learn will be so worth it. Flexibility, should be a word of the day, lol. You're growing so much in strength and Lilly continually amazes me with her positive and happy attitude most of the time. We love you and are so happy we can help in anyway possible. Love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoot!!! We keep praying for all of you. She is such a sweet girl I hope things settle down soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when my parents were on their mission and my sister Chris got burned the day after my Russell left on his mission. Just as I thought maybe my life would go as planned. That wasn't the Lord's plan. Chris got burned, my sisters Tracy and I and Lisa became her parents, she had no one else. Everyday was different, but being by her side and hearing her cry with pain everyday I said so many prayers just asking Heavenly Father to please ease this burden, help the numbing medicine to work. The amazing thing was that everyday a new blessing would come to give her and us strength to make it through just one more day. In 18, sometimes long months our family saw so many miracles everyday. We were truly blessed as a family, there seemed to be nothing that we couldn't overcome. I know that the Aldredge family will make it through this. My testimony and trust in Heavenly Father and the Savior grew in leaps and bounds. LILLY knew what trials she would face before she even came to this earth, she knew she would pass the tests and so does her Father in Heaven. With the loving family she has, she will succeed, and continue to do amazing things. Keep the faith! Keep looking for the blessings that you see or hear everyday, even if it means a change may happen. There might be a unseen reason that in the future you will come to understand. Sending love and happy giggles to that beautiful, perfect Lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO NOT LET CANCER TAKE OVER YOUR LIVES......... IT CAN'T AND WON'T. BE BRAVE!

      Delete
  6. I hate that cancer is taking over. You guys are so good & so strong, I know one day you will look back on this chapter in your lives & think "wow, we over came that". Because, I feel like you will & one day things will feel normal again. I pray that that day can come soon. Until then stay strong. You have so many people supporting you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I missed Lilly's FaceTime call yesterday. I wasn't home so it wouldn't go through. I hate that! Tell her I will give her a call today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We keep her in our prayers! Stay strong. This really hurts to read about so I can't imagine how it is for you.

    ReplyDelete