Wednesday, March 5, 2014

That We Might "Not . . . Shrink"

Possibly my most favorite picture of my Lovely Lilly
Over these last few weeks my family's world has been turned upside down in a matter of seconds. I have wondered why such a tragic thing like this would happen to my beautiful and talented little Lilly. I know that this may sound like a doting parent who's very proud of his daughter but, I can't help but look at her with awe and wonder at the many gifts and talents her little body has been blessed with from her heavenly father. If I may, I'd like to illustrate some moments of her examples and lesson she's shown me.

Lilly has shown me what it means to be a friend through showing kindness to everyone.  Her teacher told us this story: At school, on their birthday, the day is theirs to do what ever they want and to invite their friends to participate in certain activities with them. We were informed that during Lilly's special day she made sure that every student was able to participate. The teacher also informed us that Lilly was the only child to ever include everyone and not just her closest friends.


Lilly, is rarely shy and will talk to any random person and find some way to make them smile even if that means she points out something she thinks they shouldn't be doing... she'll still bring a smile.


Lilly Is always willing to serve others.  Not only has she helped me fix the car, mow the lawn, and pick up dog poop (with her own shovel), but there is a boy at school (Britton) who has spina bifida and uses crutches to help him walk, which she befriended and is always so kind to help him in anyway she can. Now if only we can get her to clean her room.


Lilly is very intelligent and mature for her age or as her oncologist Dr. Doug stated "she's very Precocious". I also think she is very loquacious. The day before she was diagnosed with Leukemia we had parent teacher conference. The teacher informed us that Lilly has passed off everything she needs to complete kindergarten. She also told us that Lilly's reading and other skills would qualify her to enter a gifted language immersion class for next year. Unfortunately she may not be able to attend.


Lilly's ability to stay positive in spite of all the pain. I can't tell you how many people flock to her in the hospital. Because when their with her in the room she always seems to make everyone feel happy. I'm not just talking about her nurses. Even people that are not scheduled to see her will make time to stop by because as they say "she's a special girl".


Lilly's many talents include:

Piano (she just can't learn fast enough)
Dancer
Artist (check out her Olaf)
Memory (trust me don't play the memory game)
Loving
Helpful big sister
Kind

Now keep in mind I understand she has her faults too but, most of which I'm sure she inherited from me. But, she inspires me to be better than I am. Now the thing that I have been struggling with the most is understanding what God has in store for her and what he wants us to learn from all this. I have already seen how strong she Lilly is and she gives Tiffany and me strength to carry on. But, do we have the faith to accept God's will no matter the outcome? Not that I don't have faith that she can be healed but it still weighs heavy on my heart. So, while pondering on Lilly and our situation I clicked on a CES talk to listen to since I'm home alone. It was the first random talk I clicked on and I couldn't have pick a better one if I tried. I just pray that Lilly, my family and I can endure this bitter cup and not shrink. Fore warning, it made me cry.



That We Might “Not . . . Shrink” (D&C 19:18) (55:52) | Church Educational System Devotionals
March 3, 2013: Elder David A. Bednar speaks on steadfastness and submission to the Lord's will.

How has Lilly affected you life?  Please leave a comment or story about her.

5 comments:

  1. She has blessed me by always seeing her smile under each and every thing she has gone through. She truly does love everyone and I've also noticed how so many people have come into visit her if they've seen her at all in the hospital. She truly is a talented little girl who brings so much joy and happiness to those around her. We will all get through this with Heavenly Father's help. Love you so much Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay, thanks so much for sharing this. What an amazing talk! I don't know personally your precious Lilly, but I know what an impact she has had on my life and the life of my girls, Kaylee and Abby. Lilly has brought an incredible spirit into our home. We pray for her constantly. My girls don't ever go a day without talking about her or praying for her. So even though we don't know her personally, we have been blessed by her. Thank you for sharing her journey. She is one special girl. We love you all so much and will continue to fast and pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I love most about Lilly is her ability to find joy, any time, any circumstance. And her joy is infectious. Basically, she is healing to my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I know for a fact is that as long as I have known Lilly I know whenever I look into her eyes that she understands far more spiritually then we fully realize. She has Christ like love for others. I have watched her especially when she has sat on my daughter Erin's lap and she would just stare at Erin as they laughed and talk. Erin has always been very spiritual and for me to see her and Lilly interact like they do is a very neat experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that your favorite picture is at Erin's wedding. Lilly looked like a princess at Erin's wedding. So we both had our beautiful princesses there on that magical day.

      Delete